Top 10 Sci-Fi Films of 2012 #5: LOOPER
Of all the films on this list, Looper might be the most intriguing. Due out on September 28, the Rian Johnson-directed film, based on early reports, reflects shades of Blade Runner in it’s science-fiction/film noir style.
Looper stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, and Emily Blunt. It is set in 2042 in a “gangland” dystopia, where the main character (Gordon-Levitt) works as a “looper,” an assassin who kills and disposes of those sent back in time from the year 2072 by certain gangs. However, he recognizes one of those sent back for him to kill as himself (Willis) and he lets the future version of himself escape, setting off the gangs who pay him.
The time-travel aspect of Looper is what makes it especially interesting, to me. One the one hand, he could go ahead and do his job, killing his future self, knowing for the rest of his life exactly how he will die, being sent back in time to be killed by his younger self. He could regret that for the last thirty years of his life. On the other hand, if he does not do his job, the gangs which serve as his employers could kill him right then and there. However, if that happens, he would not live to be sent back in time in thirty years, thus eliminating the issue that killed him in the first place in 2042. This is the time-travel paradox which, while in reality proves that time travel is not and never will be possible, makes an interesting film premise.
I will definitely be going to see Looper in theatres, but it’s release is quite a ways away. I am sure I will have more about this one before then, though.
- Director Rian Johnson Talks LOOPER Teaser Trailer, Grounded Sci-Fi Reality, Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s Make-Up and Filming Action Scenes with Bruce Willis (collider.com)
- First Look: Joseph Gordon Levitt as a Young Bruce Willis in Rian Johnson’s ‘Looper’ (slashfilm.com)
- Footage Revealed for Rian Johnson’s Sci-Fi Film LOOPER (geektyrant.com)
- /Film Video Interview: Rian Johnson Talks ‘Looper’ (slashfilm.com)
- ‘Looper’ trailer: Joseph Gordon-Levitt completes time-travel circle (herocomplex.latimes.com)